I drink a green smoothie every day. It gives me a large dose of greens, it’s easy and palatable, great for my body and skin and jam-packed full of nutrients. I think drinking a green drink like this, is the first step in creating a lifestyle that fights disease. Green smoothies are easy to make, you just need a plan….
The Green Smoothie Plan
1. The base
- Unsweetened non-dairy milk – examples include, almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, hemp milk, rice milk
- Plus water.
- Experiment with the amount that best suits you… I usually add around 6oz of almond milk and 6oz water.
2. The greens
- Pick your greens (one or many)… examples are: Kale, spinach, swiss chard, dandelion, beet greens, collards, parsley, mint.
- Rotate your greens. It is advisable to not use the same greens every day for a long period of time. For more information on why you should rotate your greens see Rotate your Greens.
- Trader Joes and Costco have an organic blend of bagged power greens which include a variety of greens… great for making green smoothies. As an example, I use half a bag of Trader Joes Power Greens in each smoothie and sometimes add additional parsley or mint.
3. The fruit
- Banana, any berries, apple, pear, mango, avocado, peach, melon, kiwi…
- Remember more greens than fruit. I use one piece of fruit per smoothie. If you are just starting green smoothies for the first time, you may need more fruit at first.
4. The additions
- Supercharge your smoothie with… chia seeds, hemp seeds, flaxseed, spirulinia, maca, goji berries, raw cacao, nut butters, protein powders, dried cranberries, fresh lemon juice.
- As an example, this morning my green smoothie consisted of: almond milk, water, power greens (baby spinach, baby kale, chard), parsley, asian pear, hemp seeds, chia seeds, cranberries, goji berries, juice of 1 lemon.
Blend it… live life.
- Blend together the ingredients from each section above.
- Drink your smoothie straight away.
- Have a happy, healthy day!
Let me know how your smoothies turn out, if you have a favorite combination, or if you are now including a green smoothie in your day. Cheers!